Quiet Times Journal

QUIET TIMES JOURNAL: Mostly meditative writings and prayers on particular Bible passages; a few book reviews; photographs taken by the author.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Zealous for the Fear of the Lord

Proverbs 23:17 Do not let your heart envy sinners, but always be zealous for the fear of the LORD. 18 There is surely a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off.

John Wright Follette authored a piece titled, "Others May, But I May Not" [perhaps a slight paraphrase]. For many, that almost seems to be the theme of the Christian life.

But Proverbs teaches us to adjust our focus, shift our gaze, change our world view significantly. One who envies sinners is fixed upon the "I cannot," whereas the steadfast gaze of one who is zealous for the fear of the Lord is fixed on Him, the strong hope, and the bright, eternal future.

Often I find that I believe in God without really believing in Him, in the sense of utmost confidence and trust. For example, when I am on a trip with my husband, I know that he is there. I know that he is with me. I know that he is driving the car and guiding our trip. But if I have no confidence in his abilities, I will fret and worry the whole time, missing the wonderful things we came out to see and enjoy.

It is like that with our heavenly Father. We know we believe, but do we truly rest in our confidence in Him? When I look at the sinners and judge my life according to the standard of whether or not I measure up to them in terms of possessions, relations, or abilities, I am bound to fret and worry always. Of course I do not measure up! No one ever does. Eternal jealousy is the punishment of the damned.

But when I rest and trust in the Lord, I enjoy the future eternity in the now. I relish a quick and ready fellowship with Christ my Savior; I hear His voice often and feel His comfort in my heart.

And God never changes. The life of the world gives and the life of the world takes away. But blessed be the name of the Lord! What He gives, He never takes away.

---------------

Father, it is so easy for me to be completely unaware of where my focus is at any given time. Help me to zealously guard and protect Your word in my heart, the promise of the hope that You have given me in Christ Jesus; and help me, Lord, always, to keep my judgments and interpretation of all that is around me centered in You and in Your law. I ask this by the grace of the beautiful name, Jesus. Thank-You, Father, for loving me, in spite of me. Amen.


No comments:

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
married with children, married 42 years, Christian 32, non-believing husband, member of First Baptist Church; auntpreble_blog@yahoo.com

Christina's Play List


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones