Quiet Times Journal

QUIET TIMES JOURNAL: Mostly meditative writings and prayers on particular Bible passages; a few book reviews; photographs taken by the author.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Personal Word--Grannies in Granny_2

Today after work I went out for my second ride. Yesterday I had done a few hills in my neighborhood, so today I decided just to do some flats.

I went for all the cul-de-sacs in the neighborhood across the wash from our house. I practised up and down shifting on both the right and left hand, not quite mastering my dyslexia on the two click shifts on each side.

I felt uneasy on the right turns, so I practiced a few of those. Soon I was purposefully weaving in and out, dodging wet leaves on the pavement, trying to get the feel of the bike, to trust it and me, trying to get a sense of balance back and "oneness" with the bike.

We had had a rainstorm yesterday and today. The air was crisp, the wind blowing. Various people were out walking their dogs. I chose a greenbelt path, and soon enough the pavement ended and was replaced by chewed up asphalt. A sense of granny-style adventure took hold of me as I hit wet dirt, broken sticks and twigs, and mud! Yes, I was off the pavement!

But it was a dead end, so I returned to the cul-de-sacs. On one of them a little girl was on the sidewalk in front of her house. She seemed to be just lollegaggling along, humming a little song to herself.

That one scene transported me back to my childhood. I remembered countless times of being outside on days just like this one "playing". What did I play? The same thing the little girl was playing--whatever came to mind.

The water in the gutters reminded me of sticks and leaves I used to send down the "river" as a child. There had been stones to pick up and throw for no reason, animals and fairies up in the clouds.

I was getting the feel of my bike and I went out onto a main street. I crossed over into the bike lane, turned into the left hand lane at the signal, stopped and waited for the light to change with two or three cars also stopped behind me.

I was in the bike lane of a main boulevard now, and I had to plan out the next light, which was my own street. I needed to cross over. I decided to press the pedestrian walk button, but how to alight from my bike gracefully? I've adjusted the seat high for full leg extension, and I have to stand on tippee-toes to reach the pavement. Aha! The curb!

I pressed the button, waited for the green, and crossed the four lane divided highway with cars stopped in both directions. I did it! A few more cul-de-sacs on my way home, then up our driveway in the lowest of the lows, my lowest granny gear, still in the saddle. I made it!

Applications

1) I am so grateful to my son for being vocal and demonstrative about his love for bicycling. He even got me out on one. He wasn't pushy, or obnoxious, or self-righteous. He just loves bikes and wanted to share that love for something he truly believes is good for people.

When is the last time I have ever shared the Lord as enthusiastically as my son shared his bicycling with me?

2) As I look back on the thirty bicycle-less years I spent, all on account of something as small as not wanting to wear a helmet, I can't help but think of the "little" reasons and excuses that many people give for not turning to Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. I knew I really wanted a bike all those years; I just didn't want the helmet. How many know they really need and want the Savior, but they allow something small to stand in their way?

3) I'm sharing this account on my blog because getting my bike has been the most fun and exhilaration I have had in a very long time. It's great! I also want to share that knowing Jesus Christ and through Him God my Father in a very personal way is also very great! A bike costs money, but eternal life is free to us. Just turn to Christ, confess to Him your sins, ask His forgiveness, and believe He died on the cross and was raised again for you. I waited thirty years for my bike. Don't wait another minute to ask Jesus into your life.

auntpreble_blog@yahoo.com

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
married with children, married 42 years, Christian 32, non-believing husband, member of First Baptist Church; auntpreble_blog@yahoo.com

Christina's Play List


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones